We are looking for a Product Owner to work on dynamic new products and projects, as the primary interface between business and technical teams, in order to improve business efficiencies, gain competitive advantage with our products, and ultimately to deliver better value to our clients.
As a Product Owner you will make an extremely high impact on a fast-scaling product in an agile team. You’ll have the accountability to build product and take on custom projects for large enterprises. You will be responsible for maximising the value of the product and the work of the development team. The role has an extensive list of duties and responsibilities, requiring a mindset that drives technical, business and design dimensions. The Product Owner does not just administer the backlog, but is responsible for tackling and solving difficult problems for both customers and the business.
the things we do
We create outcomes for long-term partners who expect real-time service delivery from any of our teams across a broad landscape of technology challenges.
For the kinds of clients we love working with, the ability to adapt to change according to the real-time behaviour of their customers and to empower their teams to create more impact is becoming more and more crucial.
As the people who empower them, we in turn have to rethink how to be of service to our fast moving clients by ‘sensing and responding’ in close collaboration with them, instead of being busy with ‘planning and predicting’ away from our client’s view.
Our company is proudly headquartered in Umhlanga (KwaZulu-Natal), South Africa. Due to our way of working, this position is best suited to those who live in or are able to move to the Durban area.
- Continuously create, passionately convince others about, and maintain the product backlog for the team.
- Accept huge, uncharted challenges and create buy-in amongst others in collectively solving those problems.
- Own and define the product objectives, key results, roadmap and story-telling for the products you take on.
- Focus fully on the delivery of results that are valuable for customers and respectful of a client’s budget.
- Urge your team and yourself to continually improve by providing and asking for continuous and transparent feedback.
- Be entirely accountable for your commitments.
- Define the product vision and measure customer value.
- Planning with the creation of a product roadmap and impact mapping.
- Prioritise needs across scope, budget and time.
- Oversee development stages by engaging in all SCRUM ceremonies.
- Anticipate client needs with impactful research.
- Act as primary liaison between internal and external stakeholders.
- Evaluate product progress at each iteration and provide updates to all stakeholders.
- Overall accountability for ensuring Sprint Goals are being achieved and reporting the success thereof.
- Maintain ultimate responsibility for product delivery.
- Manage direct and indirect reports.
- Ensure that the team is appropriately resourced, and members are equipped with the skill set required for both current and future projects.
- Collaboratively work with team members to set performance goals and measure objectives.
- Responsible for each phase of the product life cycle, end to end, from Inception, Growth, Maturity to Decline. Where applicable this includes inception, requirements, analysis, design, testing, deployment, performance, support, monitoring and decommissioning as appropriate.
- Creating and propagating a customer orientated attitude within the team, whilst identifying and understanding the needs of all customers, and managing their expectations.
- Aligning product strategy with business, customers (internal and external) and technology through collaboration.
- Manage matters with the appropriate urgency, inclusive of resolution and communication with stakeholders in conjunction with the support process.
- 5 years experience in software development industry in complex, high performance software-driven environments;
- Minimum 2 years leadership experience in a software development company;
- An entrepreneurial mindset and approach to solving problems;
- Experience in delivering software using an agile approach, preferably Scrum;
- Proven track record of technical and leadership results;
- Proven results engaging customers at executive level and senior management levels;
- The ability to say ‘No’ – because your ‘Yes’ is a real commitment;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience coaching and developing a team with respect to achieving their individual objectives;
- Being an active influencer to the team by promoting and creating a participative, empowered environment;
- The ability to handle high stress situations calmly and effectively in a high performance and fast paced environment;
- Understanding of business objectives and the ability to craft plans to realise business objectives;
- A willingness to become adept at the various tools and applications that empower the team’s outcomes;
- An awareness of the web and app creation industry, and an inherent interest in the issues that we deal with as technology professionals;
- Understanding of software development methodologies and delivery thereof;
- An inherent belief that transformation in our industry and our country is necessary, and that it requires you to play an active role everyday in creating an equitable and inclusive community.
We know we ask a lot. We do that deliberately because we know you can learn, even if you have not yet mastered all these skills.
For immedia, the ideal product owner works everyday at deriving a clearer understanding of our evolving vision, has a passion for co-creation with stakeholders of all shapes and sizes, and demonstrates a determination in delivering useful and beautiful things for real people.
And, for those with the courageous and open-hearted spirit required, we will work with you to teach you how.
to apply, email the following information to us:
- Full CV.
- Reference details from your direct leads at your 2 most recent places of employment.
- Include your expected salary and your notice period.